So in an act of frustration, I hit shuffle on the mp3 player (which brand shall remain nameless but those who remember the old blog will know...). It's been liberating.
Instead of trying to decipher my mood and chooose from over 5,000 songs currently at my fingertips, the random selections of songs has had the power to actually influence and/or change my mood.
It's easy to get set in how we hear/recognize songs and then judge it in another context (which may indicate we've become a music snob or that we're just getting old...). The songs out of context (especially when taken from mixes), especially from one style to the next with no rhyme nor reason, is enough to keep me from locking into any one particular mood.
So here's a snapshot of today's randomness just for fun:
1) Dull My Heart - Ghosts of Paraguay, Silent Souls
2) Fable from Arabian Knights - Professor Shehab & Captain Kowatchi, Land of Baboon Vol. 1
3) In From The Cold - Stasis, History of Future E.P.
4) #13 - Ryoji Ikeda, Demixed
5) Portugese Love (Album Version) - Bah Samba, 4
6) Easy We - Rob Nuca, Dub Be Good to Me
7) Silk Road Fantasy - Kitaro, Silk Road
8) XY Ungelost - 4E, Electric Ladyland III
9) North Bay - Pablo Bolivar, Motion
10) Panama Cell - Once11, Versus The Pyramid
11) Horizontal Structure 3 - Moritz Von Oswald Trio, Horizontal Structure
12) Trip - Megaperis, Coffeeshop Vol. 4
13) Würfel (Version) - Von Schommer, dcv07
14) Mal!c!ouz "Abracadabra" - Once 11, Versus the Pyramid
15) Live in Tokyo I - Deepchord Presents Echospace, 14 Tracks: Echospace Exclusives
16) Tyrolean Music Station - The Conet Project, Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations
17) Where's My Money Mastermix - Mark Broom, Excursions
18) Sigh No More - Mumford & Signs, Sigh No More
Love it will not betray, dismay or enslave you
It will set you free
Be more like the man you were made to be
There is a design, an alignment, a cry
Of my heart to see,
The beauty of love as it was made to be
19) The Young People - Moon Wiring Club and Belbury Poly, Ghost Box Study Series 01
20) Morphin - STL, Machines Down Low
*Did not include mention of two tracks that were under 20 second each...such is the nature of the shuffle.
Now if only the shuffle could beat and pitch match...
Feel free to share yours in the comments if so inspired.