Sunday, May 6, 2012

RIP Adam Yauch (aka MCA)

I saw this this morning at about 2 a.m. after a night of non-sleep. For whatever reason, it almost brought me to tears. Perhaps you've already seen it...

In 1986/1987, as a freshman at university, Licensed To Ill had just dropped and it was on constant rotation in my room for the entire year. 

Went and saw the Beastie Boys on that tour (with Fishbone and Murphy's Law).  All I really remember about the set was the giant phallus in the middle of the stage.  This sheltered suburbanite's worldview was slowly expanding and breaking free from the obligatory classic rock diet.

Hard to believe that 25 years have passed.  The Beastie Boys grew up (just compare the lyrics to "Bodhisattva Vow") and so did we.

Perhaps it was the loss of youth along with the loss - at too early an age - of Adam Yauch, but I was deeply moved.

I know next to nothing about Coldplay but there is just something about this track, especially the audience chiming in with every lyric, that is quite touching. Music is a unifying force.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment