Saturday, March 9, 2013

Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version (1993)


Difficult to explain, this one.  Not even sure why it ended up on my mp3 player.  Probably started out doing a dig for Demdike Stare and veered off to The Haxan Cloak or some such artist and eventually ended up at Earth.

Considered to be a pioneer of drone doom (drone doom?), think guitars tuned way down with minimal riffs  that resonate in your head for upwards of half an hour.  Slow.  Way.  Down.  Breathe.  

I'm reminded of Eluvium's "Zerthis Was A Shivering Human Image" from his Lambent Material album or his Static Nocturne, distorted guitar washing over you that somehow seems like a lullaby.

This album is like that, kind of.  I get the 'doom' tag, probably for the amped guitar, but for some reason the sound is cathartic. Recommended for times of stillness like when drifting off to sleep.

May impair motion related activity.


3 comments:

  1. Funny you should include this album, which is often cited as the beginning of drone-metal (or whatever else you want to call it) in your otherwise kind of ambient/techno oriented blog. I bought my copy in 1993 or thereabouts in Fat Cat records in London - a techno/ambient shop. I still have no idea what it was doing in there, but I'm glad it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny isn't it? Honestly don't recall how this ended up in my mp3 player but it dead and when it played I sat mesmerized. Nice find on your end. The Earth/Bug combo on Ninja Tune is a treat if you haven't heard it yet.

    ReplyDelete